Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Sagada Kiln Project


A few weeks ago my mom, sister, and I, along with Nicky, went to this pottery exhibit in Cav in Bonifacio High Street. My dad and I had taken some pottery classes years ago, enjoyed it very much but were frustrated by the fact that our bowls and plates would get lost, our clay stolen, etc.

They passed around free food bites--shrimp cocktail and pumpkin soup! prosciutto and melon!--and sold the products on display.

It was a joint project between the Sagada community and the Australian embassy (in line with their Aborigine Week) to showcase the talent of Sagada's potters. The art of pottery in Sagada was declining, but ever since the embassy set up a kiln in the mountains, the tradition was coming back.


I particularly liked the large bowls they had, that were designed with a kind of sunburst in the middle. Absolutely beautiful.

It's on there 'til July 21 if anyone's interested in going.

No comments:

Post a Comment